Saturday, May 17, 2008

Cataract Surgery Scheduled for July 8!

As you know, Callie has juvenile cataracts. We knew this when we adopted her, and we agreed to provide the surgery for her when the time was right. Our vet recommended Dr. Winston in Lawrenceville as our Opthamologist. The visit started with an eye exam. They dilated her eyes and then took her on a little obstacle course to judge her eyesight. Dr. Winston determined that Callie probably can't see well at all out of her left eye and the right eye is slightly better, but still pretty bad.

She explained that they will go in and break up the cataracts, then place lenses in her eyes to help her to see better. Obviously they can't determine the exact strength needed for the lenses, so she'll never have 20/20 vision, but it'll be much better than it is now! Callie apparently has small eyes for her size, which will slightly increase risk for problems. Also due to her breed, she is at a higher risk for developing glaucoma. They gave us a 25% chance of that developing. I figure the odds are in our favor with a 75% chance of no problems!

For now, we will be putting drops in her eyes two times a day, which will probably continue for a while even after the surgery. I'm just happy to give her a chance at a normal doggie life. Calhoun is currently her see and eye dog, but I don't think he realizes that!


  1. It is so wonderful that you are doing this for Callie Kent! She is going to be such a happy dog when she can see better! :)

  2. You've been tagged! See my blog for details!! :)